Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Trip to ShenYang

July 24, 2008 Thursday

With possible some wrong food, esp. the changes of environment, I got very sick and quite made my parents concerned. After spending the entire evening throwing up, I can only lay myself somewhere and completely wordless. But, I need to catch the train to ShenYang and go for my appointment at US embassy in ShenYang. My mom got me some medicine, but still not helpful. Doctor said that usually when a person travels back China, the first dish should be tofu, which will help the stomach to adjust. Ouch, only learn the lesson after made the mistake. He said that I just have to let my body fight for it, which did not sound well for my parents. On one hand, I felt so bad to make them worried and wish I could spend more quality time with them. On another hand, I have to admit, I absolutely love this moment. Am I nuts?? really, all these years in U.S. the time I feel strong homesick is when I am sick. Seeing my parents around me, I have already feel the sense of safe and comfort.

Afternoon my dad and I went to ShenYang. My mom could not join us due to her lately health reasons. It will be a lot of traveling to ShenYang, then later ChaoYang.

ShenYang, the Capital of Liaoning Province. Last time I was there was the time when I went to U.S embassy to get my visa in order to study in U.S. wow, now, ten years later, I will make the same trip. Ten years ago, I met a group of miracle ELIC teachers, who are like angles, impact my life significantly.

It is HOT, HOT and HOT in ShenYang, close to 36 C!! This city will be one of Olympic Games cities, mainly for soccer games. This city is the nation well-known soccer city. If you want to know how crazily passionate ShenYang and rest of Chinese people feel about soccer, just go to one of soccer games in China, you will feel the heat. I still remember in early 90s, when TV shows that China lost the game to get the chance playing in World Cup, many of my grandparents neighbors throw their TVs directly out of the windows. You can imagine the scene, when I sat by 14th floor, many big stuff flying through the window. The next morning, the road was filled with every possible thing people could think to break!!

In order to get ready for the Games, ShenYang has been re-constructed all the city roads. This bank building is very unique, using an old Chinese coin shape as main architecture design.



I barely remember much of thursday due to my illness. Finally a family friend, military doctor prescribe a strong herb medicine for me, which began to let me recover. Now, I do not have much appetite for food :(


July 25, 2008 Friday

I have an appointment at 8:00a.m. at ShenYang U.S. Embassy. When I got to the gate, there were already a lot. I guess, it is very often to see this scene around U.S. embassy, just like the time in Canada couple years ago. People talk about their applications and try to find out the best communication ways to persuade consulate. I noticed the changes by the gates of embassy. They build the extra wall with the sharp metal on the top. By law, if people reach the embassy, they can request to be refugee. That is the way that many north Koreans got chance to go to U.S.

The couple persons in front of me did not get visas. really, no one could tell the exact judgment they have every day. But, I am very thankful! Meeting the U.S. consulate was unbelievable easy. He asked my job, when he saw my Olympic official letter, he asked his rest colleagues coming to take a look, then gave me the visa receipt. I looked him, thinking 10 years ago, that receipt opened a new door for me to explore. Thank you!

Immediately after leaving the embassy, my Dad and I went to bus station to catch the bus to ChaoYang visiting my grandpa(my mom's dad). The bus station even has the security check. really, everywhere you go, you'd better have ID card to show who you are.




Dalian is the city by the ocean. But, traveling to ShenYang and ChaoYang, they are much more inland, so hot, nearly 38C, I could not open my eyes well due to the heat.

"Tai Re le!" means too hot, I bet that I could use it in Beijing.

No comments: