Tuesday, August 26, 2008

2008 Olympic Closing Ceremony

Day 21 at USOC HQ, Aug. 24, 2008

Early morning in transportation office, everyone looks so sad. I often come here in the morning, either find some goodies to eat, or ask for a ride. We all do not want to think about the next day, but we all are looking for some time off and get together.



I become to know Clare Randt more and more, she is such a sweet girl. One thing I found out that she is such a fruity girl, eating a lot, I mean a lot. She eats kiwi without taking off the skin, asking me to give a try. I really hesitate.



Couple days ago, Michelle had trouble to order a flower boque for Mr. & Mrs. Plant for USOC to celebrate their anniversary. It is so easy to get flowers here. I told her that I have get it done when I am off shift. I did not meet Plant family but heard so much about Mike Plant. A lot of Atlanta Braves baseball fans and USOC fans told me so much about him, and Braves. Ye, I only know Seattle Mariner and couple other teams, like NY and Boston ones. I feel that I open a door which I have no clue but keep getting incredible surprises here.



This morning, Mr. Plant run to me directly, thank me to order the flowers, then asking me a favor to go with him to get a new suitcase. Nowadays, if you ever see people getting ready to leave for states and still need shopping, usually they need one or two extra suitcases. I have already got used to people asking me where to get a suitcase question. Since my task won't start until 10:00 this morning, I told him that I will go with him. Due to the effort to reduce the traffic, all Beijing stores delay their open time to 10:00a.m. which made harder to get a shop. I told driver to go to silk market to give a shot, a good choice, we got the suitcase.

It was a right decision to come with Mr. Plant, that I have him a lot of questions, how he quits his job at USOC, why he did that, how he persuade Donald Trump to invest millions into cycle event he planned, how he took the risk to move forward, how he set up China cycling tour and operate Braves nowadays...... we talked a lot. Now, I have to thank for Beijing traffic to let us have a decent conversation.

This morning task is to communicate with BOCOG on closing ceremony. With most process set up, I got an offer to go to Men Volleyball final game, U.S. vs Brazil. Today I have arranged the lunchone for my parents, uncle and aunt at Hilton, well, I told them the offer. They said I could go to the game and they will enjoy all the great food :) ye, I definite miss a great meal, but get to see an incredible game!

To see men volleyball, esp. U.S. coach has been hold up his family sadness to loose one member, but keep his team without loosing even one game. He has all my respects and gratitude.






No. 13 is my favorite, such a cool play! now I see, only when you in the game place, watching two incredible teams, you will feel the heat, the strategy and nervous!


Brazil is strong team, but the team collabration is not as great as U.S., plus, U.S. team is very strong with short play, which definitely a winning strategy.




After watching the game, I went back Hilton, wow, you have to imagine the crowd in the lobby, half are secret agents waiting for Australia Prime Minister Kevin, another half all standing watching the final men basketball play, U.S. vs. Spain. Those secret agents even tried to look at the game. We all, USOC group, watched the last 8 mins, feeling hearbeats every second with the game. If I say that I began to know little bit sports, I have to admit, the loving sports atmosphere is one of important factor.




When we are getting ready for the closing ceremony and getting start to prepare for Paralympic, I got the ticket to see the closing ceremony, WITHOUT any assignment, purely enjoy it. Yes, I am going. Too bad, my parents plan to leave tonight for Dalian, otherwise I could take them along.

Security on the road.




USOC has good seats, I am sitting front, seeing clearly the show, without using any binocular. There so many highlights, the art design and planning are breath-taking, esp. the hardness to nevigate those bicycle looking wheel(as after ceremony, I went to try to get on, so hard to manage it), seeing those stars, have to say Daid Beckham is cool.(talking about David Beckham, I have to mention that couple days ago when I was at U.S. embassy in Beijing, we saw him, but no one recognize him :(.

Here are many pictures:





It is fancitating to see this, I could not believe that 08 Olympic game in Beijing is completed. I am sure there are many people having a same feeling like mine, do not want it end, do not want it go. The singing, dancing, fireworks, and cheerful crowd, remember this moment, remember this minute, I will not forget it!




I even spot Dan Walsh, who came up talk to me for a minute, and Shawn Johnson, and many other atheletes I met before. We all wave this interesting chinese fan.


In the end, we all get to the stage, playing, dancing, no one wants to leave.



It took me a long time to get back home, not because of traffic, but enjoying the evening sceneries at Olympic Green. I look at the place, glad that I was part of it this summer, an unforgettable summer.

No comments: