Tuesday, August 5, 2008

How many teams will I meet this month?

Day 2 at Headquarter becomes much fun! Beside translating, I got to use my technical skills to help USOC. They had just got a new printer, but keeping having trouble. This morning I decided to take a look. One elder jokingly said: " if you touch it, you'd better fix it otherwise we will not let you leave this room!!". In fact, the toner they got was very bad. After changing it, it works great. Suddenly, by word of mouth, I got more tasks in :)

Oh, have you ever taken Pepto Bismol? I have not, even not known what is for. Today, a very high top official needs this quickly. People do not know where to get it. I tried but not successful, later heard that Chinese government does not want some athletes mistaken medicine causing them not pass physical test, then completely end their careers. So, if you can find Pepto Bismol, please let me know. Finally BNU doctor has one sample, enough for this patient! I finally decided to go back USA house for lunch instead of having one at Hilton. That is an absolutely good decision, not only getting all fresh made food from different counties, but also got chance to get a few tickets for my family. This is probably the last around to get tickets. Now, I have in-door volleyball, basketball, Athletics tickets for semi-final and finals. I have to admit, I am not that great into sports, more or less enjoy the atmosphere. Since there is no way for me to purchase a soccer and tennis tickets for my parents, who love those dearly. Fortunately, a friend here is willing to give me her soccer ticket, which I will give to my father. An embassador's son said he can get me a table tennis one, which I will give to my mother. Aha, all set, ready for the show!

While we are having fun here in USA house, I got chance to talk to these two Italian teammates. Again, with my Chinese English and their Italian English, a lot of body guestures are going on simutanously. After work, we teamed up and went to Brazil House. Due to the private official party going on, we could not stay too long. Brazil House said that we can come back later. They are located at Jiang Guo Men Dong Jie. When we were in taxi trying to tell the drivers location, my Chinese did not make too much sense to the driver. He completely considered me as a Japanese. Well, Do I look like someone from Japan? We head to Canadian House, but it was too late passing their closing hour. We decided to walk around Tian-an-man square, which is very close by. Then, the hightlight of day began! I met the Italian Volleyball team. Since I have two Italian teammates here, we ended up spending couple hours with them. Should I say that when I come back U.S., I will begin to learn Italian? Little after 7:00p.m. the taking-down flag ceremony starts. It is a very official event every day in front of forbidden city. The military people will clear our the center of sqare, having a eventful celebration around 10 mins. I saw those before as well as raising flag, always standing in the crowd. Today I went with my teammates, somehow ended in the press group--Canada Toronto Star News, so, I, first time, view the entire event in the clear view, right by military. Nobody tells me what not to do. I had a great time!


When we returned, we have walked the whole afternoon, tired and exhausted. Again, we all went to my aunt's place. She cooked us delicious food and let us rest for a while :) How sweet is she?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Charlotte! You have been busy having fun AND working hard! Thanks for the daily updates. I especially like the pictures...it is almost like being there with you. Take care and keep up the good work,
--Lisa and Mace